Upon your visit to our clinic we will evaluate the cause of your knee pain. On your second visit to physical therapy, you will be given, and go over a home exercise plan (HEP) with your therapist to reduce knee pain. Because you will only spend between 2-3 hours in the clinic a week, the home exercise plan will provide you the opportunity and instruction to perform: stretches/exercises, bracing, icing do’s and don’ts outside of the clinic. Your home exercise plan is a tool that you will use for maintenance of your pain throughout the rest of your time in physical therapy and beyond. Our goal is to help you become independent in the management of your knee pain and/or instability. To do this, your therapist will discharge you with a HEP that will help you maintain the current therapeutic benefit from physical therapy in order to prevent recurrence of your knee injury. The discharge HEP will provide you with tools to manage your condition in the event of symptom exacerbation.
The following is what your HEP may include for common knee problems:
- Hamstring stretch performed 2x/day for 30 seconds.
- IT band stretch performed 2x/day for 30 seconds.
- Quad strengthening – With your knee straight, contract your quadriceps muscle by performing an isometric contraction by pushing your knee down into the floor holding for a count of 5-10 repeating 20 times
- Hip abduction strengthening – Loop TheraBand around ankles and while standing at a counter or tall surface maintain weight on one leg, while lifting the other out to the side; Perform 20-30 repetitions, 2x/day.
- Hip extension strengthening – Loop TheraBand around ankles and while standing at a counter or tall surface maintain weight on one leg, while lifting the other, with a straight knee, behind you; Perform 20-30 repetitions, 2x/day.
Along with your HEP your PT may recommend:
- Icing or ice massage after HEP or exercise
- Kinseotape for muscle inhibition or recruitment
- Home TENS unit for chronic knee pain
If you are having regular knee pain or instability, come see us for a free consultation. To request an appointment, click here, or call directly to one of our three locations during regular business hours:
Cool Springs: 615-224-9810
Spring Hill: 931-489-2022
Disclaimer: The information in this blog is intended to be informational only and is not intended to be used in lieu of medical care. Consult a doctor or a physical therapist before attempting treatment on your own.