Scoliosis is a non-curable disorder of the spine. There may be one or two additional curves in the spine that form a C shape or an S shape. Depending on the severity and the type of scoliosis, you may need surgery and must consult with Physician. Physical therapy is a good treatment to improve proper movement patterns, improve postural awareness, and increase core stability to support the spine.
A home exercise program given by the Therapist for scoliosis may include the following:
- Stretching of the spine and extremities to improve flexibility.
- Strengthening of muscles surrounding the spine and other parts of the body.
- Core stabilization exercises in order to support the spine to prevent worsening.
Other treatments may include:
- Pain medication prescribed by MD
- Use of ice to decrease soreness or pain
- Use of heat to improve flexibility
- Massages performed by a massage therapist familiar with disorder
- Healthy diet
- Exercise regularly to prevent loss of bone density and maintain a healthy weight.
Disclaimer: The information in this blog is intended to be informational only, and is not intended to be used in lieu of medical care. Consult a doctor or a physical therapist before attempting treatment on your own.
If you are having back pain or have been diagnosed with scoliosis, please come see us for a free consultation to see how we can assist you in your recovery. To request an appointment, click here, or call directly to one of our three locations during regular business hours:
Cool Springs: 615-224-9810
Spring Hill: 931-489-2022