Piriformis Syndrome—Home Exercise Program (HEP)
For Piriformis Syndrome, during your second visit to Physical Therapy, you will be given your own home exercise program with detailed instructions and pictures of stretches and exercises to perform on the days you do not come into the clinic. Because you will only spend 2-3 hours a week in therapy each week, your home exercise program will provide you with the tools to take some of your recovery into your own hands. Your HEP will help you manage your pain during your time being treated, and always be something that you can reference as needed after graduating from your time in physical therapy.
The following is what your HEP may include:
Stretches and therapeutic exercises designed to increased ROM and strengthen muscles of the core, hips, and leg:
- Hamstring stretch; perform 2x/day for 30 seconds.
- Hip external rotation stretch; perform 2x/day for 30 seconds
- Piriformis stretch; perform 2x/day for 30 seconds.
- Hip abduction strengthening—Loop TheraBand around ankles and while standing at a counter or tall surface maintain weight on one leg, while lifting the other out to the side; Perform 20-30 repetitions, 2x/day.
- Hip extension strengthening—Loop TheraBand around ankles and while standing at a counter or tall surface maintain weight on one leg, while lifting the other, with a straight knee, behind you; Perform 20-30 repetitions, 2x/day.
- Pelvic Tilts—Lying on back with knees up and feet in contact with the mat, gently press low back into the mat as though you are scooping your pelvis posteriorly. Hold for 3 seconds in this position. Perform 20-30 repetitions, 2x/day.
- Bridges—Lying on back with knees up and feet in contact with the mat, tighten core and gluteal muscles. Press hips towards the ceiling until your body is in a straight line. Hold this position for 3 seconds before relaxing; Perform 20-30 repetitions, 2x/day.
- Ice-Pack or heat for pain management:15-20 minutes after exercises or as needed.
Disclaimer: The information in this blog is intended to be informational only, and is not intended to be used in lieu of medical care. Consult a doctor or a physical therapist before attempting treatment on your own.
If you are having consistent pain in your hip, come see us for a free consultation. To request an appointment, click here, or call directly to one of our three locations during regular business hours:
Cool Springs: 615-224-9810
Spring Hill: 931-489-2022