Knee pain is a common ailment that can happen to almost anyone at any age. It can range from mild to severe. Knowing the cause of the knee pain can help a person seek the appropriate treatment in the clinic. First understand that you can seek physical therapy through direct access (without a doctor prescription). Your Physical Therapist will perform an evaluation that includes testing your knee’s stability and then can help you relieve symptoms, regain mobility and seek further treatment. During your time in the clinic, your therapist will assign you a series of stretches and exercises to stretch any tight musculature and to strengthen any muscle imbalances found. This is very important and large cause of knee pain and injuries.
The following is what your PT sessions might look like:
- Antigravity treadmill at 75% weight bearing to correct gait sequencing to restore a more normal walking pattern from a time of limping prior to injury.
- Recumbent bicycle ride to warm-up lower extremity musculature and increase circulation to prepare for exercise.
- Seated and Standing stretches to increase shortened muscle due to limping over time.
- Weight-bearing and seated therapeutic exercises designed to strengthen muscles (particularly the quad and hamstrings).
- Soft tissue mobilization to lower extremity: Quadriceps muscle, IT band, or any lower extremity musculature that has become tight and overactive.
- Electrical stimulation (similar to TENS) with an ice pack or vasopneumatic device (ice pack with compression) to help with pain relief and manage inflammation.
- Kinesiotaping for muscle imbalance or McConnell taping for patellofemoral pain to correct alignment issues.
Disclaimer: The information in this blog is intended to be informational only, and is not intended to be used in lieu of medical care. Consult a doctor or a physical therapist before attempting treatment on your own.
If you are having regular knee pain, come see us for a free consultation. To request an appointment, click here, or call directly to one of our three locations during regular business hours:
Cool Springs: 615-224-9810
Spring Hill: 931-489-2022