Common Disc Issues In-Clinic

Disc issues are more common that you would think and understanding the treatment in clinic helps you to act promptly and quickly reduce any long term effects.

One of the most common disc issues is a ruptured or herniated disc, when the center of the disc (nucleus) pushes through the outer layer and presses against the nerves. This can cause neck or back pain that may radiate down an arm (neck disc issue) or leg(low back disc issue). Physical Therapy is often an initial conservative treatment included in a physician’s plan of care. Physical Therapy will not cure a ruptured disc but the purpose is to condition the body in order to prevent further injury and decrease pain during recovery. PT will focus on decreasing pain, increasing flexibility, increasing core stability and addressing muscle imbalances.

A therapy session for a ruptured disc may be as follows:

    • Cervical or Lumbar traction to decompression the spine to offload the injured disc or nerve root.
    • Flexibility stretches to address tight musculature that increases stress on the spine.
    • Core (abdominal) stability/strengthening exercises to build a good support system for the back.
    • Strengthening exercises for hip and back muscles.
    • Soft tissue mobilization and trigger point release to low back muscles, glutes, and piriformis, spinal mobilizations to increase mobility.
    • Dry Needling to decrease pain and muscle spasms in the neck, shoulders, low back, gluteal areas.
    • Electrical stimulation with moist heat or ice to decrease pain and inflammation.

If you are experiencing any kind of neck or back pain or have been diagnosed with a ruptured or herniated disc, contact us for a free consultation.  To request an appointment, click here, or call directly to one of our three locations during regular business hours:

Cool Springs: 615-224-9810
Shelbyville: 931-684-0027
Spring Hill: 931-489-2022

Disclaimer:  The information in this blog is intended to be informational only, and is not intended to be used in lieu of medical care.  Consult a doctor or a physical therapist before attempting treatment on your own.


About the Author :