Most common causes of a broken ankle:
A broken ankle occurs when too much force is placed on the ankle. The most common causes include:
- Trip or Fall- loss of balance, trip, uneven surface, darkness.
- Impact-The force of a jump or fall can result in a broken ankle.
- Missteps-Awkward pressure ie ankle might twist or roll to the side as you put weight on it.
- High Impact Sports-intense movements that place stress on the joints.
- Automobile Crash- Heavy impact of a car accident.
What to do if you break your ankle:
What you can do to take care of yourself until you get to a medical professional:
- Keep weight off your foot. Do not walk on it.
- Elevate your ankle and prop it up on cushions.
- Apply ice to minimize pain and swelling.
- Apply pressure, clean and wrap any bleeding.
If your broken ankle was caused by an auto collision or injury, or if the bone is sticking out of the skin, get medical help immediately.
If you are having pain in your ankle, please come see us for a free consultation to see how we can assist you in your recovery. To request an appointment, click here, or call directly to one of our three locations during regular business hours:
Cool Springs: 615-224-9810
Spring Hill: 931-489-2022
Disclaimer: The information in this blog is intended to be informational only, and is not intended to be used in lieu of medical care. Consult a doctor or a physical therapist before attempting treatment on your own.