Broken ankle treatment
Every injury is different. The best treatment depends on the type and seriousness of your ankle break.
- Ice-this can be used to control pain and swelling.
- Walking boot, cast, or splint-these keep bones in place and provides protection during healing.
- Crutches-these allow you to walk without bearing weight.
- Reduction- for broken bones moved out of place.
- Surgery- for severe breaks.
- Physical Therapy- gait training, balance training, ankle strengthening
Broken ankle recovery time
Broken ankles typically heal within 6 to 12 weeks. Injuries that do not need surgery may heal in 6 weeks. During this time, your doctor may take regular X-rays to check on the bone.
Injuries that need surgery can take 12 weeks or longer to heal. Your total recovery time depends on your injury, age, and overall health. Physical Therapy can be a great benefit in helping you safely return to normal activities.
If you are having pain in your ankle, please come see us for a free consultation to see how we can assist you in your recovery. To request an appointment, click here, or call directly to one of our three locations during regular business hours:
Cool Springs: 615-224-9810
Spring Hill: 931-489-2022
Disclaimer: The information in this blog is intended to be informational only, and is not intended to be used in lieu of medical care. Consult a doctor or a physical therapist before attempting treatment on your own.