Along with Physical Therapy, a home exercise program will be given to perform on days therapy is not scheduled and after discharged from the clinics care. The HEP will have pictures and descriptions of each exercise to perform in order to increase range of motion, increase strength, and decrease pain. Heat or ice may be used after exercising as needed for 10-20 minutes at a time.
The exercises listed below are a sample of what may be on your HEP for Achilles tendon:
- Calf (gastroc and soleus) stretching- Loop a towel or strap at the base of your foot while in long sitting, then pull back until a stretch is felt in your calf. Hold 30 seconds and perform 3 times.
- Ankle pumps- pumping ankle up and down as if you were stepping on the gas, about 20 reps.
- Ankle ROM exercises- moving ankle side to side, moving ankle in circles clockwise and counter clockwise.
- Heel raises- Lift up on your toes and back down. Perform about 20 reps resting as needed.
- Single leg stance- balancing on affected ankle trying to hold for about 30 seconds 3 times.
- Step activities- ascending/descending stairs, side step ups, about 20 times each per day.
Disclaimer: The information in this blog is intended to be informational only, and is not intended to be used in lieu of medical care. Consult a doctor or a physical therapist before attempting treatment on your own.
If you are having pain in the back of your foot or have been diagnosed with an Achilles tendon tear, please come see us for a free consultation to see how we can assist you in your recovery. To request an appointment, click here, or call directly to one of our three locations during regular business hours:
Cool Springs: 615-224-9810
Spring Hill: 931-489-2022